Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Yay my first planned mod has finally arrived

Super cool awsome. My otrcai has arrived. Can you notice it in this photo?

It was made white for me by efi dynamics in Melbourne Oz. Thanks to Les also from ls1-australia for organising it for me. I chose white so it reflected the heat as much as possible. I might even put some silver reflective tape on the bottom. Might help it resist heat soak a little. Should be worth an extra 50bhp, what do you think!? Ok well maybe 0.1bhp anyway.

I had to take a sliver off the neck so it fitted back far enough for the bonnet to close. Nice and snug, so its not going anywhere. Did a test drive up the road. Definately makes more power. Some good sideways action at the round about to check and back home. I have a reasonable drive coming up thursday and an even longer one at the weekend so Ill get some good logging done.

Well new injectors 30lb Ford SVO's (yes I said Ford) are shipped. They should give me plenty of head room and are accepted as a good choice for heads and cam vehicles that need a little more injector capacity. Stock 26lb ones are only good for stock engines. The later 28.8lb ones are ok with mild cam only. But I logged a 92% duty the other day and that was still under 6000rpm so definately need more. The Ford ones rate around 36lb on the GM pumps due to higher pressure, this should be good for around 650bhp based on my understanding of BSFC, which admitedly is probably pretty shocking.

BSFC as I understand is the engines ability to turn fuel into power. A more efficient engine will get more power from each lb of fuel. Forced induction engines are good, as are some high compression NA engines. Take a look here for Mr Wikipedia's take on the matter.

Ok so now I shouldnt be intake restricted any more. Thermostat will help keep engine and combustion temps under control so I can get a little more timing.

I did a traction limited 0-100 of 5.6sec the other night. Not so brilliant. But that was my first go. I will run a few more times and practice my launch etc. I think I might be able to get it to very low 5's and will some luck and probably more tuning even under 5!

Also today I messed with a number of tuning tables in order to arrest my reverse full lock low speed stall. It appears totally fixed now. Cool. I might celebrate by dropping idle down a little to 780 from 800 and see how it goes. It will idle at 700 rpm, but is a little tetchy about doing so. I think 780 might be good enough.

1 comment:

Marcin said...

svo 30s are 34.6 at 58psi.
they're really not enough for anything but bolt-on only cars.
i put 85% on a dyno making 364rwhp @ 6200rpm so the 30s are really not that big. i've seen them pushed to 430rwhp, but that's on such a bleeding edge that you actually saw power fluttering past 5000rpm due to lack of fuel. svo 42s are the way to go for any h/c combo, as you can safely go to ~500rwhp.