Friday, June 02, 2006

I thought so

A day spent on and under the car again today.
Some new NGK-BKR6E-11 plugs, well cheap I think about £12 all up shipped to my door. They are shorter than the stock Autolite plugs so will create less compression and run cooler. I pushed timing 0.5 degree up to celebrate and no KR was logged so things are heading the right way. Cold air intake and Thermostat to come.

I also ported my throttle body today. Here is the pic, a little blurry, but there you go.
An excellent writeup here on how to do this. I cancelled the BBK one I ordered, everyone says there is no point upgrading unless you go for a Fast90/90 setup.


Also here is a pic of the old plugs I pulled out. Ive done some spark plug research and Im guessing they looked a little lean/hot. But within acceptable limits. Take a look here for an excellent link on spark plug reading. New plugs are gasketed, which is the recommended plug for the darts. So plugs are now as they should be. The old ones have been consigned to the spares basket.

I also found a small exhaust leak, which was the likely reason my girlfriend was complaining the car was making her sick, "worse than before". And there I was thinking it was my driving all along, or the increased power and whiplash etc.

So good progress, slight increase in power and hopefully more to come with the remaining parts.

If you havnt done so already PORT YOUR THROTTLE BODY! Its easy and rewarding.

Last fuel fill the distance remaining read 420 Miles, which is pretty good, same as prior to heads and cam upgrade. So there you go a nice small port high flowing head with good compression and a mid-ish size cam can get you good street manners, more speed/power and retained economy.

Just a little by the way. The Dart heads have about 0.100 less valve clearance over stock heads. So notching pistons is more likely with the Darts. The valve springs are good to 0.620 but the drop wont support that with out compatible pistons.

1 comment:

Oztrack said...

I made big gains with the BBK 80mm over my Ported TB. I think you may have seen the chart. We are talking about over 11rwkw and 28Nm over most of the range. Gained about 0.15s at the strip as well.
A 4.3% gain in both areas average.

My car already had a 216 220 114lsa cam with 555 lift resulting from 1.8 roller rockers - also ported heads at 10.7:1 and 25% UDP.

Steve
www.oztracktuning.com