Saturday, May 24, 2008

Bolt on mod number 1 for the VE HSV

Well here is the results of what started off as a minor mod.
I ended up having to take the whole front off. Also a small piece of radiator surrounded needed to be sawn off as the VE has a solid little "roll" cage around the E38 EU which is located under the fusebox on the left in the picture below. This got in the way.

Ive also made note of where you need to remove bolts and clips to get the front off. The main bits are at the outer edges, you can only get to them by removing the black clips inside the front of the guards. You then use a straight handled 10mm socket to unscrew them from underneath. The long part under the headlights, just pulls forward and unclips. With 2 bolts and 2 more clips located in the middle top of the bumper by the bonnet catch.

Actually I pulled the bonnet catch apart too because I thought Id broken it. I think it just needed to be moved up a little. It worked fine.

Anyway, I got the Russo OTRCAI installed. Im missing the 2 wire IAT sensor, so just temporarily cabletied the old MAF into the inner guard and ran 2 wires to the IAT circuit on it. Hopefully the IAT sensor from Chris at Russo arrives before too long and I can get it sitting in the intake, just in front of the throttle body.

I cant say Ive noticed more power, I think the old one was pretty good anyway. The idea is colder air rather than more air. I was logging 99kpa at WOT with the old intake so I dont think it was too restrictive. Mind you the heads and cam are stock so they probably didnt want much more than that either.

Im working on a difilippo exhaust, which hopefully will be on its way very soon. Though I have a short throw shifter waiting for me to fit, so that will probably be next.

A stroker is also on the way.. Which if you had read all my previous posts, you would know that that event was a near certainty.

No comments: