Thursday, June 01, 2006

Another learning experience

Ok, so in hindsight (which is often the way these things get found out) Id have been better with a slightly lower compression setup. Im still confident that I can make do with my current setup with the mods mentioned above, but Im right on the edge. Timing is such that knock is not an issue. Its just not ideal for power.

So today I ordered the 160deg thermostat from Summit. In addition some serious WOT action today showed that my new slightly higher rated injectors wernt going to cut it as they were running 97% duty. With the new intake and hopefully additional timing which should require a little more fuel to get back to commanded fuel ratios Ill require some extra headroom. Actually the recommended headroom is to aim for 80% duty cycle anyway. Stock early LS1's are almost at 100% off the showroom floor! Anyway the reason I mention this is that I got some Ford SVO 30lb injectors. They will work out at around 36lb with the GM 4bar fuel pump and give lots of headroom.

I thought seeing as I was at it I might as well order a BBK 80mm throttlebody as well. The budget is now seriously blown and expenditure needs to be trimmed right back as things are getting out of control. Hopefully I can restrain myself and not buy a new exhaust system. The current one is ok, twin 2.5" but has cats and 2 mufflers on it. I need to pass emissions and see what my margin for error is. Hopefully it may allow the removal of the cats and while Im at it one of the mufflers. That might help airflow through the engine as well. Im currently running 0.85g/cyl which is about 0.07g/cyl off what Id expect (0.92g/cyl) Im hoping timing, throttlebody and cai will get me closer.

No comments: