Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Encore un fois

Ok, so Im sitting in NZ at the moment after tuning my friends SS Commodore. Good results, though he has stock exhaust manifolds and MAF. The tune was mafless and based on the R8 tune. I had to pull some timing from 4500-5500 RPM to prevent real knock. Though the rest of the table is pretty much stock R8 285KW.

Quite pleased with the results, I think he will get an OTRCAI to minimise intake temps as they have a considerable effect over 30deg C with quite a bit of timing being pulled.

I used a combo of efilive OS3 with open and closed loop. Low map was open loop leaned to 15.4:1 AFR, while midrange was closed loop and WOT open loop as normal. MAF codes disabled and MAF disconnected.

Took 13 revisions to get it to where Im happy with it. Some of these were on/off settings to try one then the other and back again. Compared to my over 130 tunes, 13 for his isnt bad. I kept a little conservative, though he asked me to sharpen it at the end so he had max power. There is still no knock showing, though Ive seen him drive and its not pretty, WOT from idle in all gears!

Anyway, thats my second tune so far. Ive decided that for mechanical and volumetric efficiency reasons I must purchase a set of Dart LS1 Pro 1 heads of 205cc capacity. That should give me 10.75:1 compression with good flow rates. Ill order these as soon as I get back to the UK.

Im still waiting on an OTRCAI, there are none in NZ, or at least none I can find. Im looking at the Orssom range from Charlie in Oz. A new batch are due any day.

No comments: